Sunday, March 13, 2011

Self-discipline

2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love, and of self-discipline.

So if God gave us a spirit of self-discipline then why is it so hard for us when it comes to our addictions?  Food, alcohol, drugs, pornography, gossiping, shopping, gambling, etc...  For me personally, it is food!  It always seems so difficult for me when it comes to food.  As a child and even as a young adult I never had a problem with my weight.  That doesn't mean that I ate healthy, it just means that I was young, very athletic, and very active, so I never gained weight.  I used to ride my bike to the beach every day, rain or shine, and I used to take the long way so that I got more exercise!  When I arrived at the beach I would eat a couple of slices of pizza, soda, and of course a sugary lemon frost or an ice cream cone, and that was pretty much every day!!!  While at the beach I would play paddle ball, swim in the ocean , and walk along the boardwalk,  Then I would ride my bike home and swim in the pool before going to work!  I also played on a softball team at the local park.  I had the time and the energy to be very active.  At this time in my life I am finding it hard to make time time for regular exercise so my husband and I have been walking every morning, first thing in the morning.  I'm realizing that if we exercise first thing in the morning after our devotion time then it is much easier than trying to find the time later in the day.  Also, exercising first thing gives you quite a bit of energy for the rest of your day!  Try it, even if your mornings are crazy, try to go to bed a little earlier and then wake up a little earlier and make time to exercise in the morning.  Also, if you exercise each day then you'll sleep better each night.

Back to the food...I'm not one of those who gets cravings for certain things and then runs out to the store to purchase that piece of chocolate or cookie, but when those cookies are in front of me, boy is it hard to say, "NO!"  I am realizing though if I just focus on God and pray to Him, He will equip me with the power and self-discipline (as the verse states) that I need to pass up the unhealthy foods, eat the right foods that my body needs to thrive, and exercise regularly.  So if we rely fully on Him, He will help us through.  Keep in mind that although we may think it is impossible to loose weight and be healthy, all things are possible with God!!!  

I've got a great way to add some realy great foods to your day...smoothies!!!  Last weekend we went to Plant City for the big Strawberry Festival.  We brought home so many delicious, juicy strawberries that I had to cut some up and put them in freezer bags to save for smoothies. 
So here is my recipe:
1 cup frozen strawberries (cup up)
some blueberries, raspberries, blackberries (whatever is in season or purchase the frozen berries)
1/2 a banana (cut up)
1 handful of fresh spinach. I know it sounds gross, but once you have all the berries and bananas you can't even taste the spinach, I promise!!!  If you don't believe me, try it at least once and you'll see!  The smoothie will not be green, it will have an appealing berry color : )
1 yogurt (any flavor, you can even try Greek yogurt it's very good! And good for you!)
Then I use the vanilla flavored almond milk or vanilla flavored soy milk
Blend it all up and enjoy!!!
This smoothie will give you and energy boost and it will certainly boost your immune system!!!  It is a quick way to have a really healthy breakfast.

Good Night and F.Y.I., I am praying faithfully for each of you who are reading this blog and I sincerely hope it will help you just as it is helping me : )

No comments:

Post a Comment