Remember when we were kids and our mothers and teachers were always telling us to sit up straight? Boy, do I wish that I had listened to them! It is a challenge to try to correct the bad habit of bad posture. I have to constantly remind my self to sit up straight or to stand straight as well. It's not that I have terrible posture but I do tend to slouch, a lot : ( I never even realized that I was doing it until one day at the gym one of the trainers, in a very loving way, told me to look at myself in the mirror. At first I was insulted because I thought she was talking about my weight but then she explained that she meant my posture. I was actually very surprized to see my reflection, I was so slouched over, with all of my weight on my right side and my right hip popped out to the side. No wonder my back hurts! She went on to explain that it is really bad for our spines (a healthy spine is so important) to stand or sit slouched over. It is also not very good for the health of our backs when we stand with most of our weight on one foot. Our weight should be evenly divided between both sides of our bodies, which means we must stand with our weight balanced in the middle of our bodies. Also, did you know that poor posture is not good for our internal organs? When we slouch over our ribs compress into our midsection and put all kinds pressure on our organs. This is especailly true when we are exercising. If we are walking, running, weight lifting, etc...and we are not using good posture we are not able to get the proper amount of oxygen into our lungs! Our rib cage pushes in on our lungs and thus the lungs cannot fully expand and therefore we don't get enough oxygen. I read an article on ezinearticles.com that stated when your spine is not positioned correctly it can cause muscle strain along with spine and nervous system problems. Another online article on trucomfort.com reports that good posture not only has physical benefits but also has psychological benefits as well. According to a study done by Ohio State University researchers, sitting up straight or standing with good posture increases one's self confidence! Try it...walk into a room standing straight and tall and you'll feel more confident! We've all heard the expression, "standing proud." So let's all sit up or stand up straight for good physical health and mental well being!
Did you know that, according to http://www.wheatgermbenefits.com/, wheat germ is one of the best sources of folic acid? It is also rich in antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, enzymes, protein, and essential fatty acids. Wheat germ helps prevent diseases. All of that packed into the tiny, powerful, nutrient dense part of the wheat kernel!!! Check out http://www.cooks.com/ for recipes using wheat germ. Me, I simply mix a couple of heaping tablespoons in a small glass of grapefruit juice. It is not the best tasting combination is the world, but who cares? I know it's good for me!
Verse for today:
Psalm 37:4-5
"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your ways to the Lord; trust in Him and He will do this."
Let's commit our new healthy lifestyle to the Lord and He will help us : )
No comments:
Post a Comment