Thursday, March 24, 2011

Help! I'm confused!

"Ideas not coupled with action never become bigger than the brain cells they occupy."  I read this quote from a fortune cookie, believe it or not.  It is one of those one-liners that really sticks with you, it is so true and I really liked it, so I memorized it!  I encourage you to think about it and remember it as well!

Wow!  There is so much conflicting information out there; some vegetables are healthier if you steam them, some are better eaten raw.  Most fish is very healthy for you but not all fish is healthy for you.  Is wild better than farm raised?  Are fish caught in cold water better for you than fish caught in warmer tropical waters?  Are all fish contaminated with mercury?  Which have the highest content of mercury?  What about chicken?  Beef?  Soy is good.  Soy is bad.  Some diets will even tell you that fruits are bad and bacon is good ( I can't quite figure that one out).  Isn't it just easier to eat a sleeve of chocolate chip cookies and a glass of milk and be done with it?  The chocolate chip cookies have eggs and dough and the chocolate has antioxidants!  The milk is my dairy and there you have it, I've covered 3 out of the 4 food groups and I'm a happy camper!!!  Not really though because deep down, despite the fact that I really do enjoy chocolate chip cookies and milk, I know it is not healthy for me.  So the bottom line is we must be wise consumers.  We cannot allow ourselves to remain confused about which foods to eat and which not to eat.  We need to do our research, read labels, and be informed.  Let's face it...most of us know which foods to avoid and which foods we should eat an abundance of.  As we travel down the path to better health we will continue to learn what is best for us.
      
I am reading a wonderful devotional book called, "Jesus Calling" by Sarah Young.  Today's reading was another message from my Jesus saying, "...relying on your ever-present Companion.  You have every reason to be confident, because My Presence accompanies you all the days of your life and into eternity."  Pretty powerful stuff, huh?  Knowing that He is with us should give us the confidence we need to accomplish our goals, including the goals of loosing weight and being healthy.  Especially because God, our Father desires these things for us as well!

I love salads, so eating lots of leafy greens is not a problem for me and lately, since I am trying to eat more and more of these healthy foods, I have come up with a few new ways to make salad.  For instance, instead of salad dressing I have been putting dried cranberries and sunflower seeds on my salad and it tastes delicious, it's healthy, and I avoid salt and fattening dressings.  Another idea I got from my oldest daughter.  She mixes lettuce and fresh spinach and adds mandarine oranges and avocado slices, yummy!!!  I also make an avocado salad with lettuce, fresh spinach, sliced sweet onions, cucumbers, and of course avocados.  I then sprinkle it with a little sea salt and drizzle with olive oil and again...yummy!!!  Try these ideas or make up your own and you'll see that salads can be very tasty, filling, and healthy!!! 

Enjoy your day : ) 

1 comment:

  1. Good Morning Sally. Just read few of your recent blogs and I must say, with much pride, you write beautifully. Ever think of writing a book, girlfriend? Wow, I'm riveted to every word and you make this journey so interesting to follow. I know whoever reads your blogs will be motivated to follow in your very successful and delicious footsteps.
    Keep up the good work.
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete